Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day of Ptosis Surgery

About two weeks prior to my ptosis surgery, I visited Dr. Maale's office for a pre-op appointment. I was given a sheet of instructions about the surgery and my recovery period, including how to care for the sutures, when I could shower, how to sleep, etc. I couldn't lift anything more than 5 pounds or bend over for two weeks (I would have to bend at the knees instead). I could shower the day after surgery. I couldn't wear eye makeup or contacts for a week. I had to sleep on two or three pillows for at least a week. Then, I visited the surgery center where they took blood and checked my vitals.

The day of surgery I arrived at the surgery center around 8 a.m. I was taken into a waiting room where people kept coming in to check my vitals, give me an IV, change my bed, etc. Before I knew it, I was whisked into the operating room by the anesthesiologist. They were cracking jokes and putting me at ease before they sent me off to sleep. 

The next thing I know I was awakened in the operating room and Dr. Maale was working away on my eyelids. It took me a few seconds but soon I was alert and well aware of what was going on in the operating room. Still I felt pretty calm for the most part. I couldn't feel a thing but I did notice that Dr. Maale was cauterizing at times. Kind of strange but it didn't hurt. I just kept breathing deeply to remain calm.

Dr. Maale gave me specific instructions to look down or close my eyes. Her assistant was asking me questions about my job, which diverted my attention from the operation. Dr. Maale had me sit up a couple of times to look in a mirror and see her progress. At one point I noticed that one eyelid seemed lower than the other. She agreed and said she would fix it. Soon, I was sent back to sleep. 

The next thing I remember is waking up in the recovery room. I remember feeling alert almost immediately. I was in that room for a very short time, maybe five or 10 minutes. Then I was wheeled into post-recovery. After a trip to the restroom, I was given some water and crackers before being told it was time to go home.

I felt a bit woozy when I got home, probably from the anesthesia and from not eating for so long (it was about 12:30 p.m. at this point). I started to get hungry late in the afternoon and was starving by the evening.

My sutures began to bleed, ooze and swell as soon as I got home from surgery. I was given two gel packs, which were frozen and placed on my eyes between a piece of gauze. For the next 48 hours, I placed the gel packs on my eyes in 30-minute intervals - 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. This helped to reduce swelling and bruising. 

I wasn't able to sleep much that night, partly because I needed to keep using the gel packs and also because I had to sleep elevated. Here is my photo from my first night. It's not pretty, I know.

First night after ptosis surgery



No comments:

Post a Comment